Monday, March 18, 2013

Follow the Leader

Have you ever had something happen during the day that in and of itself is very insignificant but through the work of the Holy Spirit, leaves a huge impact on your life?  That happened to me today. . .

This morning, while in a different room, I heard Jakob crying.  Since I was doing something super important (definitely not checking my email and facebook to find out the status of Kaleb's play date) I ignored him.  Now before you judge me as worst mom ever, you have to understand that Jakob has been extra whiny lately and a momma can only come running at the first sign of distress so many times before she's ready to rename her youngest "the boy who cried wolf".  That, and the fact that I've known this child for 2 years and have learned to decipher his cries, I could confidently say this one was no big deal.  So anyway, there I am sitting on the couch trying to figure out if I had to go back out for a play date doing something of utmost importance, listening to Jakob whine.  I keep saying over and over "Come here Jakey.  Walk over to Mommy and tell me what's wrong so I can help you".  After 3 or 4 minutes of this, he's still not coming so I went over to investigate further and found him sitting in our shoe bin.  He had tried to use it as a stool to turn on/off the light (his new obsession) and got stuck.  I walked over, picked him up, gave him some snuggles and reminded him that we don't climb in the shoe bin and that the light switch is not a toy.  He ran off, virtually unaffected by the whole thing, playing legos with his brother.  

So, what's the point?  Throughout this whole interaction, I kept thinking how God is just waiting for us to come to Him.  "If you would just come to Me and tell Me what's wrong, I would help you!"  Far too often, we try to do things on our own instead of asking for help (Proverbs 3:5-6 anyone?)  When we get ourselves stuck in our own proverbial shoe bins, our Heavenly Father is there, just waiting to scoop us up for some snuggles and a gentle reminder of His presence.  Another thing I kept thinking?  How helpless my little Jakey was and how that was probably for the better.  Had he tried to fix the situation himself and climb out, he most likely would have fallen on his face and hurt himself.  Instead, he relied 100% on me to get him out of the situation.  I'm an efficient "doer" (or at least that's how I like to think of myself) and usually I think that's a positive quality.  However, if I stopped to think how many times I have fallen on my face because I refused to ask for help, it would be down right embarrassing.  Rather than being embarrassed by the past, I'm choosing to allow this situation change my future.  May my eyes be ever on the Lord and seek his guidance before moving forward alone - because that never ends well!!
All the way my Savior leads me
Who have I to ask beside
How could I doubt His tender mercy
Who through life has been my guide

All the way my Savior leads me
Cheers each winding path I tread
Gives me grace for every trial
Feeds me with the living Bread

You lead me and keep me from falling
You carry me close to Your heart
And surely Your goodness and mercy will follow me

All the way my Savior leads me
O, the fullness of His love
O, the sureness of His promise
In the triumph of His blood

And when my spirit clothed immortal
Wings its flight to realms of day
This my song through endless ages
Jesus led me all the way
Jesus led me all the way

All the way my Savior leads me
All the way my Savior leads me 

No comments:

Post a Comment