Friday, September 30, 2011

How does God want you to respond to the things He shows you?

When Jakob eats, he doesn’t like to take breaks to drink.  He pitches a fit when the continuous food supply is paused for a sip of water.  But because I’m the momma and know all things (sarcasm anyone?) I stop feeding him, give him his sippy cup and then he’s happy.  “Trust me Jakob, you need this water!”

Gratuitous picture of Jakob with his sippy cup...so cute!!
I feel like God must feel the same way about me sometimes.  “Would you just listen to Me?  I have something you need to know!”  That happened to me today.   
The Bible study we are currently going through is Beth Moore's "Breaking Free".  I was doing my Bible study homework and when I got to the end of the lesson for today, I was asked “How does God want you to respond to what He showed you today?”  My answer surprised me a little bit; but then again not really, considering God often shows me things at seemingly weird times.  The lesson was about taking the earthly heroes in our lives off of the thrones we put them on so that there is only room for God. [The example from Scripture being Isaiah’s immediate and obedient response to God after King Uzziah died].  I’m assuming that’s the genre of epiphany Ms. Moore was looking for.  Don’t get me wrong, that is a very valuable lesson but where I am in my life right now, God showed me something different.  I’ve always liked Matthew 12:34b “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.”  Beth put a new spin on it.  Referring to Isaiah’s cleansed lips followed by the beautiful words he wrote in his book, she said “For indeed, out of the overflow of a changed heart the mouth most beautifully speaks”.   
So, how will I respond to what God showed me in my homework today?  Have a changed heart and speak beautiful things to the Hubs and kiddos.  Easier said than done, I’m certain, but I’m sure going to try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment