Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fall Leaves Craft

I'm not the kind of person that decorates for holidays.  Christmas is one thing but for all of the others, our house pretty much looks the same (ie: toys everywhere, dishes in the sink, laundry in various stages of doneness, etc).  I do LOVE crafts though so when I saw this one, I knew I had to try it with Kaleb.  It was so easy and I'm thrilled with the results!

In the original post, it was labeled as a "no mess" finger painting craft.  However, that did not turn out to be the case with my wee one, as nothing can be mess free.  It wasn't too bad though.  The best thing about this craft is that pretty much any age can do it.  If they can bang on the table, they can do this.  If I didn't think Jakob would pick up the wax paper and eat it along with the paint that's on it, I might try it with him.  Give him another month and we'll revisit it.

Step 1 - Lay a piece of wax paper on the table and then put a piece of construction paper or cardstock on top.  

  I seriously can't believe he's smiling for the camera all on his own - no bribery!
 
Step 2 - Then drop some blobs of paint on the paper.

 I went a little heavy on the paint blobs but they still came out good.  
Also, Kaleb got excited with the rolling pin and started rolling 
prematurely, but you get the idea.

Step 3 - Place another piece of wax paper on top and start rolling!

 The original post said to use your hands to move the paint around but Kaleb 
quickly (as in, didn't want to do it at all) got bored of that.  But when I broke out my big rolling pin, he thought that was pretty cool and wanted to do many more.  It's like it's a power tool or something!
 
 This is Kaleb complaining about getting paint on his shirt. Seriously child?  Did you not see yourself after the shaving cream craft?

This is the result if you shmush the paint with your hands.  


And this is what it looks like if you use a rolling pin.  


Step 4 - Cut out some leaves and hang them wherever you need some festive fall-ness :)



Now I'm just trying to think of something else that would look good with this same color blending effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment